Google
 

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Paris, most popular tourist destination in the world, etc

Paris for Tourists

I visited Paris in the 70s, but it was just a one day visit. Amazingly, we managed to crammed quite a lot into that one day including entrance to the famous Moulin Rouge. I can see why Paris is the most popular tourist destination in the world. It has not been dubbed "The Romance Capital of the World" and the "City of Light" for nothing. There are lots for tourists to enjoy, and more had been added since my last visit.

Paris for commerce, finance and others

However, Paris is just not for tourists. It is also a major city for commerce and various important world center like the headquarter of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) are located in Paris. The Paris Club, while not a permanent body like UNESCO or OECD, is an important informal grouping of 19 of the world's richest countries formed to debate matters related to debt restructuring, debt relief, and debt cancellation of impoverished countries often working together with the International Monetary Fund (IMF). The members of the Paris Club meets every six weeks at the French Ministry of the Economy, Finance, and Industry in Paris.

The Paris Region (Île-de-France or Région Parisienne) is an important commercial area and considered one of the richest regions in the world. Within it is located other business districts including the well known La Défense. Paris is also thus frequented by government officials and businessmen.

But let us talk about Paris for tourists:

Eiffel Tower and double Decker bus

bratan says: "welcome to Paris dear happy tourists"

Who doesn't know Eiffel Tower, the most recognizable structure in the world and the icon of Paris? You can see it in the background in the above photo behind the open deck red double Decker bus. Looks like London don't have a monopoly over red double Decker buses. A visit to Eiffel Tower is highly recommended, as I myself have taken the lift up to the top deck. You can get a spectacular view of Paris skyline from there. I don't know about the double Decker red bus because I never saw it during my visit, but it should be a fun ride, especially if you dump yourself in the open top deck.

La Géode in Parc de la Villette


This is something I missed in my day visit to Paris, the La Géode, an Omnimax dome theatre located in the Parc de la Villette is the largest park in Paris. It has facilities for science and music, including the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie, the biggest science museum in Europe.

An OMNIMAX now called theIMAX Dome is designed for projection of large movies on tilted dome screens and I have never experienced one before. That is one big reason for me to visit Paris again, but this time, a day visit will not do. For such a thing to happen, I am going to need accommodation which I will likely book online using my ADSL broadband 24 hours connection to the Internet via Paris Hôtels. Darn. This website is in French. While I know a bit of French like bonjour, excusez-moi and merci beaucoup, this smattering of French is not going to help me navigate this French website.

But Spain is France neighbor, and it will be easy for them to visit Paris as it is just a short hop from their country and for them, the Spanish online booking site, París Hoteles will but for them, but not for me despite know some Spanish like buenos días, excúseme and gracias mucho.

Germany too is France next door neighbor, and it is no surprise to learn that Paris is a favorite of German tourist too. I know some German language too because I have learned Dutch and German and Dutch language are closely related, but still will not be able to handle Paris Hotels which is a German language site. I will have to leave this German website for German tourists.

When I visited England in the 70's, I had to use the hovercraft. There used to be hovercrafts carrying passengers from Dover, England to Calais, France, but I think that has stopped as it is no competition to the high speed 186 mph Eurostar train via the Chunnel under the English Channel. For them and for me, we will have to resort to Paris Hotels which is English language.

1 Comment:

alojamiento barato paris said...

It is my opinion Paris, France one of the most beautiful places to see and visit.
Its architecture, landscapes, night clubs .... places you remember from your best trips.
Notre Dam, Eiffel Tower ... unique destinations.